Finch Comments

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Finch Comments

Post  FinchG on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:53 am

I don't know if all societies do this but my finches always go to sleep exactly 12 hours from when they get up.
It doesn't matter if all the lights in the room are one or even if their cage light is still on.
If I turn on the lights in the room at 6am, they get up at 6am and then at 6pm no matter what is going on they will go to sleep in their basket (I use a basket instead of a nest to hold them all). After I see everybody is in "bed" I turn their cage light off and cover the sides and they are done for the night. :sleep:

FinchG
Lots Of Societies, 11 Gouldians, 4 Orange Cheek Waxbills, 2 Orange Weavers, 3 Spice Finches,1 Quaker, 1 Conure and 2 Lineolated Parakeets

FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Eggs For Posting Eggs For Posting : 518

Back to top Go down

default Re: Finch Comments

Post  FinchG on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:55 am

When you see those cute little wicker finch nests, I advise not to get them. unless you have same sex finches.

If you start with a pair of finches in a nest and they hatch seven eggs like mine did (societies) then you will have 2 adults and seven babies in that small wicker nest and as those babies grow it gets very crowed in there. This could lead to babies being accidently kicked out of the nest as a parent flies out of it or it could get pushed out by the other hatchlings as they move around. Then the hatchling lands on the cage floor and probably won't survive.

So to save yourself some stress and worry and start with a big nest, and put your nesting material inside and shape it in a bowl shape so the eggs stay in one spot and don't roll around, and can be incubated. A big nest has a bigger area to lay eggs and if the eggs roll away from the female she may not incubate all of them and that is why you will need to form a nest inside the basket to contain the eggs and then once they start growing, there will be room and no one will be tossed accidently. :sunny:

FinchG
Lots Of Societies, 11 Gouldians, 4 Orange Cheek Waxbills, 2 Orange Weavers, 3 Spice Finches,1 Quaker, 1 Conure and 2 Lineolated Parakeets

FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG on Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:16 pm

I just read this and my societies do sleep 12 hours now but I didn't notice this when they were feeding their chicks. I will have to make sure they eat in the evening when their new eggs hatch.

Feed at 5pm because the weaker/ smaller chicks tend to die during the night. This is often due to insufficient food gained versus their sibblings 5pm feed means the chicks get the best food from the fresh, full dish in the evening this helps get weaker or smaller chicks through the 'critical' night

Bengalese tend to settle in their boxes to roost quite early. This means a long night for chicks
when Bengalese are used to an evening feed they come out to eat this means the chicks get a later and extra feed than they would otherwise have gotten.

My question is: When we handfeed hatchlings we feed about every 2 hours when they are just hatched, how do they survive in the nest if the parents don't feed all night?
Does this mean we don't have to handfeed all night? I posted this on another forum and got mixed answers, some do not feed at night and some do, so I guess you do what your comfortable with.
FinchG

thinking1

FinchG

FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum