How Many Cages Are Enough?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default How Many Cages Are Enough?

Post  FinchG on Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:46 am

If you read my other post about getting 6 societies from a breeder you will understand my problem. I seperated the 2 males from the clutch I got from the breeder and put them in with my unrelated females, I will call this my group. The other cage has the parents and two of their female chicks, I will call this spike's group because the male is crested.

Spikes's Group
Spike mated with his original mate and they now have eggs. I need to move the two female chicks so they don't mate with Spike.=1cage
When the eggs hatch and wean I will need to seperate the clutch so no one mates with a relative.=1cage for female chicks,=1 cage for males. I also will seperate Spike from his mate so she can rest, I will put him in with the males.

My group
My two females will have to be seperated from the two males if and when the eggs hatch=1 cage for the males.
The new eggs when weaned will also have to be seperated.

From what I am thinking, even having all these birds I would still have to get a new male to breed with any of the newly weaned females when they are older since the ones I have are related. I know I could use spike with my two unrelated females. But he would be the only male that I could mate with my two females , or his babies when they are old enough.

I am so confused and if your reading this I am sure you are too.

I know I can put all the females in one cage depending on how many I end up with and the size of the cage. Same for the males.
So that would be 2 cages.

Both groups are sitting on eggs.
So I will have to find space for another two cages to give everyone more room.
When you tend to breed finches you should plan on more cages, even a smaller cage incase one is sick or is getting picked on.

My problem is if I mix them (I don't have those split bands) then how hard will it be to pick out who came from what clutch.

Also if I wanted to breed any of the new chicks I would have to get unrelated males and females.=cages

This is probably how you go from 2 to 20 in the finch world.

Example: Say 6 eggs hatched and weaned from my group
And 6 eggs hatched and weaned from Spikes group

I would have 12 new chicks and 4 parents plus 4 of their chicks that I got from the breeder.

FinchG

How many cages do I need......... Like a Star @ heaven

Last edited by Admin-FinchG on Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Eggs For Posting Eggs For Posting : 518

Back to top Go down

default Re: How Many Cages Are Enough?

Post  FinchG on Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:13 am

I would like to know what do Finches do in the wild? Do they know whose is related? When you buy from a pet store, they can't tell you who is related so I am sure there is a lot of inbreeding going on no matter how careful we are. The best chance would be to buy from a breeder who would know who is related or buy one finch at a time from different places. If I went back to the same bird store that I got my two females from to get a male finch, do they buy from the same breeder? Would I get a relative?

FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG on Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:20 am

9/1/11
Since my last post in December 2010 about how many cages are enough, I have gotten a large flight cage (36 tall) and also 4 more cages that are 18 tall and 30 wide and I need more. Since my cages are full I need a big cage to put the 14 newest chicks that my 2 white and 1 fawn had (see post). The problem is I can't seperate yet because I don't know which are the newest fledlings unless I see them begging. Even then when you go to catch them which is very hard to do because their are 14 of them, you have to try and remember any special markings to be sure to catch the right one. This is hard because they all look a like except the solid white and now I can't tell the male from his baby. This is a good reason to band them.
I have the same problem when trying to catch males to seperate them so they don't mate, I watch and see who is singing and try to remember the markings but again they all scatter when you put your hand in to catch one so you are guessing until you see the one you caught start singing.

I do not like catching them because they get so stressed when you do that. I try for a couple of minutes and then stop for a while to let them rest and try again later.

FinchG
Lots Of Societies, 11 Gouldians, 4 Orange Cheek Waxbills, 2 Orange Weavers, 3 Spice Finches,1 Quaker, 1 Conure and 2 Lineolated Parakeets

FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum